I’m not saying it didn’t happen.
I’m not saying that, in any way, it was okay.
But I’d like to point out that a devout Jew would’ve done, would do, the same thing to the Germans – if God told him to.
‘Oh but God would never command such a thing.’
Take a better look at your Bible:
– “Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live” – Exodus 22:8. (Eight million innocent people were put to death because of this command alone – but do read on.)
– “…Seven nations greater and mightier than thou; and when the Lord thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them…” – Deuteronomy 7:1-2. (This meant genocide for seven nations: the Hittites, the Girgashites, the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites – Deuteronomy 7:1.)
– “So Joshua smote all the country of the hills, and of the south, and of the vale, and of the springs, and all their kings: he left none remaining but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the Lord God of Israel commanded” – Joshua 10:40. (This included Makkedah, Libnah, Lachish, Gezer, Eglon, Hebron, and Debir – in each of these cities he “utterly destroyed all the souls that were therein; he left none remaining…as the Lord God of Israel commanded” – Joshua 10:28-40.)
– “And he [Moses] said unto them, ‘Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, “Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man, his companion, and every man his neighbour.”‘ And the children of Levi did…and there fell of the people that day about 3,000 men…” – Exodus 32:27-29.
– “Samuel also said unto Saul… ‘Thus saith the Lord of hosts… Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling….’ And Saul smote the Amalekites…and utterly destroyed all the people…” – 1 Samuel 15:1-3,7-8.
– “And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, ‘Avenge the children of Israel of the Midianites….’ And they warred against the Midianites as the Lord commanded Moses; and they slew all the males” – Numbers 31:1-2, 7.
– “And the Lord God said unto Joshua…he [Achan] that is taken with the accursed thing [he stole something] shall be burnt with fire…. And Joshua…took Achan…and his sons, and his daughters…and burned them with fire…” – Joshua 7:10, 15, 24-26. (This one in particular reminded me of the gas ovens. Can you spell ‘ironic’?)
– “And the Spirit of the Lord came upon him [Samson], and he went down to Ashkelon, and slew thirty men…” – Judges 14:19.
– “And the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon him [mightily this time]…and he…slew a thousand men…” – Judges 15:14,15.
Need I go on? Religions are full of commands to kill, and the Jewish one is no different. In particular, ethnic cleansing (such as that of the Holocaust) has strong religious support. And, of course, the faithful are compelled to obey their God’s commandments. So if God had said, were to say, “Go ye and slay all who hath been born of the land that is Germany,” well, “Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones” – Psalms 137:9.